Wednesday, August 09, 2006


I had to come up with something simple and quick to entertain my mom this evening, so I found a pork tenderloin that was about to go out of date, some packaged rice, a can of green peas, an apple, and jar of mushrooms. Sounds like plenty to me!

I first cut the tenderloin splitting it in half but leaving it connected on one side. I dropped it into a large Ziploc bag, poured in about 4 tablespoons of olive oil, dumped in about 2 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic, some cayenne pepper, some regular pepper, salt, and a squirt of Heinz 57 and honey mixture, and then closed the bag and rolled the meat over and over to get the mixture evenly distributed over the meat. I then set it aside in the refrigerator.

I peeled the apple and cut it up into ¼-inch pieces, diced up the mushrooms, and minced up about ¼ of an onion, and dumped it all into a bowl and set it aside.

I then poured me a mixed drink of Diet Coke and Jefferson’s Straight Kentucky Bourbon and went out to light the grill!

After the grill was very hot I laid the tenderloin out on the grill and then turn it down to the low setting, closed the lid and went back to the living room to visit.

In about 15 minutes I check the meat, turned it, observing the nice black grill markings.

I then returned to the kitchen, and started 2 ½ cups of water boiling. I put 2 tablespoons of butter and about the same about of Velveeta Cheese into the water.

Once again, after about 15 minutes, I checked the meat on the grill and turned it.

By now the water was boiling, so I dumped in the package of rice, the apple, and the mushrooms. When the mixture was boiling good, I turned the heat down to simmer and placed a lid on the pot. I turned the timer to 7 minutes and walked away.

In a microwavable bowl, I poured a can of peas, a tablespoon of butter, and added salted and peppered. I cooked the peas for about 3 minutes in the microwave and set them on the stove to wait on the rest.

It was now time to check the meat for the last time. I turned all but the center burner off and moved the meat to the side, and left it for 10 more minutes.

By now my drink was empty and the timer was sounding for the rice.

As you can see, the meal was delicious looking and tasting and well received. My efforts were applauded again!

1 comment:

Fathairybastard said...

Damn, a real renaissance man. Beats the hell outa the chinks I ate tonight.

Related Posts with Thumbnails