Wednesday, August 02, 2006

GREAT SUMMER – SCALLOPS?

Man, was it hot today or what? Came home from a hard day at jury duty and needed something quick, easy, and good! I found a package of Alfredo mix in the cupboard, a package of frozen bay scallops in the freezer, half a green pepper, and onion in the vegetable bin in the refrigerator and half a box of bow-tie pasta in the cabinet – what luck!

So, with my first Flying Dog Old Scratch pale ale foaming in a frozen mug I began…

First, I started water boiling in a large pot, salted it, and put a drop or two of cooking on oil on top to keep the pasta from sticking.

I chopped up the onion and green pepper into dice-size pieces and sat them aside. By now the water was boiling and I dropped in the pasta and set the timer for 12 minutes.

I put the frozen scallops in the sink with the wrapper still on it and began warm water slowing pouring over it.

After the 12-minute boiling time I poured the pasta into a strainer and let the hot water pour over the scallop package. I shook out all the water, poured the pasta back into the pot, and sat it aside.

On a small eye, I began simmering ½ cup of milk, 2 tablespoons of butter, and a chunk of Laughing Cow Swiss cheese. When the mixture was about to slowly boil, I poured in ½ a package of the Alfredo sauce powder and stirred it until blended, and then reduced the heat to 1.

In a medium skillet, I poured in about a pancake size spot of olive oil and dumped in about ½ a large wooden spoon of minced garlic.

I took the wrapper off the scallops and cut them into 4 pieces each and when the oil was hot and the garlic began to sizzle, I dumped them into the skillet.

Salt and pepper the scallops and sprinkle them with Cayenne pepper.

When the scallops have tossed in the oil for about 5 to 8 minutes, dump in the onion and green peppers, which have been salted and peppered too. Leave the onions and peppers laying on top of the scallops for about 3 minutes to steam and then mix them up together and cook for another 5 minutes. The onions should begin to caramelize which is a single everything is ready – dump the skillet mixture on top of the pasta and mix it all up.

Stir the Alfredo sauce to ensure it is completely dissolved and very hot. Then pour it over the contents of the pot – stir it all up, finish off the last of the Old Scratch and ring the dinner bell!

I served it just in a bowl with nothing else, but some garlic bread or bread and olive oil/salt/pepper mixture would be good too.

Yummy!

1 comment:

FHB said...

OOOOh, dude.

Related Posts with Thumbnails