Friday, June 10, 2016

Fried Pork Tenderloin Fit For A "Wheat Belly"!

This is one of the first recipes I tried from Dr. William Davis' "Wheat Belly 30 Minute (or less!) Cookbook, page 133, and it's one of my favorites, because it gives me back my former love; rice!  Well, kind of.

To give up all grains means more than just the wheat, it includes, among other things, rice and oats, which are seeds of grass...therefore, grain.  I miss rice.  It was as much a staple to me as was pasta...two things a Type 2 diabetic don't need.  Like a baked potato, it all turns to "sugar" in the body.

However, I quickly found a substitute; cauliflower!  It mimics rice to a "T" and the brain is fooled into thinking it's eating rice.  I really discovered this years ago when I was trying to give up the carbs in potatoes.  Ruby Tuesday used to offer, don't know if they still do or not, a cauliflower dish that made your brain think it was eating mashed potatoes.

Back to the recipe.  Tonight we tag-teamed "Pork Fried 'Rice'", and had it on the table in about 20 minutes.

The book says you need these ingredients on hand:
  • 1 head of cauliflower (we grated ours to the consistency of, what else, rice)
  • 2 TBS coconut oil (actually used Extra Virgin olive oil)
  • 4 scallions (I used green onions)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1/2 pound pork tenderloin (cut into 1/2" cubes - However, I've tried it thinly sliced and kind of prefer it that way.  Seems to be more tender that way.)
  • 1/4 cup tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
Put the grated/shredded cauliflower in a microwaveable bowl, and cook covered on high for 4 minutes, stirring once (or until desired doneness).

Meanwhile, in a WOK, or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil until hot.  Cook the scallions or onions and garlic for 2 minutes.  Add in the whisked eggs and stir continuously until cooked and lightly brown.  Set aside in separate bowl.

Reduce the heat to medium, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the WOK, and cook the pork until no longer pink.  Stir in the soy sauce, steamed cauliflower, and the egg mixture.  Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until heated through.

If you like a lot of salt you can add a little to the eggs, but believe me, the soy sauce adds a lot of salt taste!  So, be careful.

Serve!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails