Thursday, November 17, 2011

A LITTLE JAMBALAYA SOUP

I made a little quick mix jambalaya soup this evening for Judy.  She's not feeling her best, so supper was up to me.  I don't mind, 'cause it gives me an excuse to sample a little of my giant bottle of Glenmorangie

I bought the soup mix at the Fresh Market in Knoxville, and immediately thought, "this would be perfect for kielbasa"...forget the shrimp! 

The mix is intended to be a delicious take on the traditional southern dish! With the addition of shrimp (substituted kielbasa) this jambalaya soup mix makes a tantalizing meal.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

Jambalaya Soup Mix Ingredients:

Saffron, basmati rice, carrots, red and green peppers, onions, freeze-dried black olives, scallions, rosemary, cayenne pepper and turmeric. No added salt, preservatives or MSG.

Recipe Additions:

6 cups chicken broth (or part clam juice)
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (with garlic if available) or Rotel canned tomatoes (I added red pepper instead of the Rotel heat!  However, I learned after the first bite that's the mix includes the HEAT!)


Optional: 1 cup cubed ham, 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and de-veined (or crab, clams, scallops or crayfish)

Jambalaya Recipe Directions:

Bring broth to a boil and add jambalaya soup mix. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes including juice and ham, if desired. Bring back to a simmer and add shrimp, if desired. Cook 5 minutes longer and serve.

Inventive Recipe Variations:

I added a can of shoe-peg corn, and one of diced potatoes!

Jambalaya Recipe:

For a jambalaya rice dish instead of soup, do the following:

Prepare as above but use only 4 cups chicken broth. Leave out the shrimp and serve as a side dish to grilled fish.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails